The Land of K.A. header

Lavender

Our flowers are flowering, and the fish are feasting on all the dang algae that is growing in the pond. I just wish we saw more bees…there do not seem to be as many around the flowers this year.  Having read a story or two about bees disappearing…this makes me concerned for the little creatures.

20140720-DSC_2098 20140720-DSC_2089 20140720-DSC_2097 20140720-DSC_2108 20140720-DSC_2102

More kitties

I had a great time at the Sewing Mamas retreat this past weekend.  Bonus: it was pretty close to me, whereas most everyone else had to drive far or fly in for it.  We went shopping at SR Harris, and I spent too much money on fabric…again.  Then we sewed and gabbed and ate things that were bad for us. :)

I got two pairs of shorts and two shirts done for Kai, this shirt and skort for Anya, and a shirt for me.  A productive weekend!  I will get the rest posted later, but I have this one done.  I had to finish it up with the rhinestones and iron-on.

The shirt is a modified Breeze top.  I made a self lining on the front piece, as I wanted the front to be one solid piece.  I also didn’t do the middle band at the back.  It all worked out fine, though.  Next time I will make the self facing a little longer, though, as it likes to pop up in the neckline.

navy-breeze-top

The iron-on stencil is from the Silhouette store…again.  I mirrored it, because two kitties are better than one.  Amiright??

Apparently so…

Girl:  “That is sooo cute!!”  *squeal*

denim-skort-outfit

The skort is a modified Ottobre pants pattern for the top part.  Bottom part and the attached bike shorts are my draft.  I used bias binding another lady brought to the retreat for the bias on the pockets and the bottom hem.

denim-skort-outfit-3denim-skort denim-skort-details

The angel wings iron on was one iron-on I purchased from Michaels.  I cut it up the middle and ironed onto the pockets.

denim-skort-outfit-2

Here is a quick pictoral of what to do to put in rhinestones.  I got mine at Michael’s near their leather section.  I use a leather punch to make the holes and a snap press to cinch it together.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I made a few errors in the process of making this.  The skort has a zip fly that is not usable.  I forgot to account for the bike shorts inside, so I didn’t have the fabric in the fly like I should have done.  First draft, so those are always prone to errors.

The back of the top has the elastic all wonky, too.  I was limited to what I had, and I used fold over elastic.  That didn’t lay flat so well…

I will get more pictures hopefully this week of the remaining outfits, so more to come!

Burgundy

With all the rain, there is no doubt the flowers have been happy here.

20140627-DSC_1697

 Tonight Kai is playing in the Championship game for baseball.  Hopefully, he gets to pitch again (he pitched the first two innings of the last two playoff games and didn’t let any runs get scored).  Brian took both the kids out for some batting practice this past weekend, so hopefully he will also score a run!

Finishing up a muslin

Last Thursday I had a minor surgery, so I was trying to take it easy over the weekend.  I was a bit tired out from the surgery and was not supposed to lift anything heavy.  I did get a chance to finally get some sewing off my table, though.    Standing at my cutting table and sitting at my machines was totally doable. :)

This weekend I also have a sewing retreat, and I hope to get several things sewed up during that time.  I have a few things cut out to work on, so hopefully I can at least get those done!

This is a muslin that I made for the Alexander McQueen knock-off vest, and I didn’t complete it.  It was forlornly sitting there with no lining for several months.  It was time to get that UFO done and off the list.

Side note: I tend to not have a lot of unfinished objects in my sewing room.  I try to get things completed, and if they are not working at all then they get recycled into something else.

I cut out the facing in denim and the lining is in a white satin.

20140713-DSC_0033

muslin-vest

When I cut out the inside collar, I used the pattern piece that I had made for the AQ vest.  I didn’t realize that I had enlarged it for the final vest, so I had some extra fabric.  I made a few small pleats, which gave it a nice design element.

20140713-DSC_1972

This skirt is my basic maxi skirt, with a small twist.  I cut up the middle of the back and added a godet to give it some extra walking room.  It was a bit tricky getting it to lay right at the top of the “V”, so I had to turn it under, iron and top stitch it.

The stripes are even mostly matching!

muslin-vest-1

The white t-shirt is just a simple one I traced off a RTW shirt I purchased.  Very comfy.

muslin-vest-2

Well, hopefully next week I will have more sewing to show once I am done with the retreat.

Oh, and this is the LAST WEEK of softball and baseball.  Thank goodness!  Finally we will have some free nights during the week for about a month before Football starts up and then Volleyball.  At least the kids are active. :)

Fireworks

A few of the fireworks from this weekend when we went up north and “camped” in an RV with family.  It was fun, and the kids got to go fishing and have smores, so all is good in the world.

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July! :)

20140704-DSC_1804 20140704-DSC_1846 20140704-DSC_1788 20140704-DSC_1734

%d bloggers like this: