I have made this a few times already, so I thought I would finally get some pictures! I saw the “stuffing” part as a grilled cheese sandwich recipe, so I took it a step further and modified it for a stuffed mushroom.
It is really, really good. Trust me.
2 packages of mushrooms (mixture of big and small ones is good)
2 oz cream cheese
1 package chorizo sausage
8 peppadew peppers, chopped
1/2 round of Queso Fresco
1. Fry up the chorizo until done. I don’t drain it of the fat, since it gives the mushrooms some flavor. If you are looking for a low fat recipe…look elsewhere. 😉
2. Meanwhile, chop up the peppers.
3. When the sausage is done, add in the cream cheese, crumbled queso cheese, and peppers. Stir around and combine.
4. Clean and de-stem the mushrooms. Set on an sprayed jellyroll pan (one with sides). I put some aluminum foil on the pan for easier clean up.
5. Stuff the mushrooms with the filling. I had a little extra left over, which is great to use up any excess cream cheese for a dip, or fill a few pieces of bread and make a yummy grilled cheese sandwich.
6. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
7. Watch them disappear!