Some days you can’t win for losing, I swear.
Anya had ONE gymnastics leotard that fit her. I try not to do the laundry overly much, so sometimes it was not clean by the next time she needed to wear it. I bought her another one, and I expected it to fit as it was the SAME SIZE as her current one. No dice. She complained to high Heaven when she wore it, saying it was too tight in the arms. That was $30 down the chute.
I used that one as a model for this one. I made it bigger in the arms and longer, so it would fit better. It does fit better, only she said it was itchy. Those little silver flowers are pokey when they are at the seam line. It was only $14/yard fabric, so no biggie right?? ERRRRGGGH!
So here she is…frowny face and all.
I ordered some silver fold over elastic (FOE) to replace the current elastic in the material. One must protect her delicate little skin. It only took me about 1.5 hours to undo the seams and serged elastic. At least it was pretty easy to put the FOE on it. It still was itchy, but at least she wore it!
I did buy another piece of fabric, as well. It was more of a lamé dance wear fabric. I didn’t buy as much of it, as I was going to use it as an accent fabric. Again…it was spendy, so I was trying not to buy too much. Then Aunt Susie gave me a whole bunch of shiny fabric that works for dance leotards. She was going to use it for horse show shirts, but the girls aren’t doing that right now.
I made this one out of a holographic print. The only problem was it was a one-way stretch, so I cut it out on the bias.
The leg holes were too small and it was a bit too tight to get on her. ERRRRGGGH #2! Well, we are on summer break from gymnastics. I will try again in the fall. No use in trying to make more now, since she will definitely grow!
I also made this shorts set a few weeks ago to send as part of a group of sewers donating items to children in an orphanage in Central America. Hopefully it will fit the little guy it is intended for, as he is the same age as Kai. I made it for Kai’s measurements.
I made a shirt for me last week on Friday night to wear to my 20th class reunion, but I haven’t got a picture of it yet. Other than that, I have just been taking it easy with the sewing. I needed a little break! The items above were made in the last few months, so my machines have been getting some down time.
I need to get back into working out, which means not much time for sewing. Oh well, it’s not like I really NEED to make very much right now. I think I might try to just cut out a bunch of stuff and then sew it up when I get the chance. I also want to make a complicated vest for myself modeled after an Alexander McQueen vest from a past season. It’s pretty cool looking, but it will take a bit to figure out what/how I want to make it up.